A filmmaker-to-filmmaker event
GETTING REAL is a unique gathering of filmmakers and industry professionals that will ignite what is desperately needed in the documentary community: a frank public conversation about the state of our industry that will lead to action and change.
Produced by the Documentary Association and the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, GETTING REAL is an unprecedented 3-day national conference for documentary filmmakers that will take place in Los Angeles from September 30 – October 2, 2014. Keynote speakers include Tabitha Jackson and Dawn Porter. Check out the schedule of Featured Sessions.
Focused on three major topic areas, GETTING REAL will ask the tough questions:
- CAREER. How can we create a sustainable environment for documentary filmmakers?
- ART. What forces are shaping the documentary form today… and into the future?
- IMPACT. Can my film change the world? Does it have to?
GETTING REAL will feature a curated selection of compelling topics including filmmaker pay, transparency, equity funding, ethics, and public media utilizing formats designed to be interactive, dynamic, and productive:
- ROUNDTABLES – On stage, highly-moderated discussions with diverse groups of
filmmakers tackling topics of major interest
- BREAKOUT SESSIONS – Individuals inspired by a topic meet to explore issues in greater
- WORKING GROUPS – Small, focused groups motivated to move toward concrete outcomes
- FILMMAKER-TO-FILMMAKER TALKS – Behind-the-scenes stories about what really happens
during production and distribution
- SALONS – Hosted, informal gatherings of filmmakers discussing their passion for the art of
Learn more on the GETTING REAL website.